Monday, October 6, 2008

on love, I

dad: i hope i didn't annoy you with all the texts i kept sending.
me: no! i told you i always wanted to do that, so i was excited to know where you were!
dad: i got you a present!
me: ooooh!!!!!! what what what, tell me!
dad: okay... so we were up by ely, and we found this road called the echo trail. it's this dirt road that goes like 50 miles straight into the woods.
me: oh my god! awesome!
dad: and we took it to this pristine lake. it was so desolate. and that's where the road ends.
me: ooohhh.
dad: but anyway, right by this beautiful lake there was this birch tree. and so i peeled off a bunch of birch bark for you.
me:... dad, i'm tearing up. no, really. that is so sweet of you.
dad: i'll mail it to you. and guess what else? the whole trip, from start to finish, took us 707 miles!
me: [seven is my lucky number] ahhhh!!!! that is so awesome. okay, go get a pencil.
dad: okay, why?
me: you gave me a present so now i'm going to give you one... i listen to this band a lot and think of you every time i hear them. you're gonna love them. it's like surf rock, but the chick sings in khmer - she's from cambodia.
dad: oh!!! i think i've heard of them.
me: okay, are you ready? D-E-N-G-U-E F-E-V-E-R. you know, like the disease? i really like, i think it's their first album. the one with "flowers" on it.

Flowers

dad: you know what song i've really, really been liking lately? (laughing) that "graveyard girl" song. it's like, 80s but new 80s. it's awesome.

Graveyard Girl

me: hmm. i've never heard it, but i'll have to check it out. oh, i love you dad.
dad: i love you too!

No comments: