Saturday, June 7, 2008

so... i had the opportunity to go to a most interesting party tonight. a masquerade party, actually, for a sculptress, at the national arts club... right by gramercy park. i wasn't there more than ten minutes before i got adopted by a gay member. i love it! every time i go out in new york, like really out, all dressed up and such, i always get adopted by some gay personage. it makes me happy! they sort of take me under their wing, all indulgently. this 'mo's name was bob - and we bonded over a discussion of the works of oscar wilde. of course then i turned the discussion to philosophy and since he was a bit drunk we were able to take it there successfully.

through a strange turn of events i ended up... befriending... one of the djs. i also inadvertently discovered that the sullivan room, on sullivan, just north of houston, is a great place for breakbeat. on my way home i also lucked out in that essex was so dead i was really able to try out my new krink. however, my opinion on it is still mixed - it is still, in my mind, too runny, too smelly, and too messy. when i stopped at my fav fried chicken place in bed stuy for a snack before i went home, my buddy there was all like, "oh my god, what did you do to your hand?!" and i was drunk enough to loll against the counter and act all casual as i said "oh, i was just tagging the station while waiting for the train." he didn't even flinch. we then went on to discuss the finer points of emotional relativity before my food was ready - and then he wished me home safe, etc.

i guess the soda machine at crown fried chicken was out of order for some reason, so i popped into the bodega on the corner. i don't usually go to this one because it is both way more ghetto and way more frightening then my bodega of choice (that would be la esquina famosa, on linden and central). as i walked in the door, one of the guys in the store greeted me exuberantly. it didn't sound menacing, for once; it just sounded genuinely crazy, which was somehow much more comforting and understandable. so, i said "hey!" back and grabbed my seltzer and was on my way.

after i left, the guy that greeted me and his buddy were sitting outside the bodega against the pillars of the elevated train, in the typical neighborhood menace kind of way. as i recklessly ran across broadway i heard him shout to his friend, "no, no, no, don't ask her for (something). she's a nice girl. GOOOOOODNIIIIGHT!"

"GOODNIGHT!" i yelled across the street.

the birds are chirping now. goodnight.

No comments: